Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fashion

This is part of a project that I am writing, but I decided to change it or cut it out because it wasn't really relevant to my project, but I wanted to save it...

Fashion to me is a visual stimulant, a type of art, which can direct people to react in certain ways in correlation to the level of typicality. If the form of dress is atypical it causes a stronger reaction. It causes people to become aware and break from their routine or whatever they were thinking about, even if just for a few milliseconds. I believe that a person’s form of dress can question and destroy boundaries as to what was once thought “acceptable” or “common” in everyday society. It is a visual representation of “thinking outside the box.” I think that this is very positive in that it is a subliminal message to society that diversity exists and there is more than one way to do something. It is my hope that this kind of “message” serves as a motivation for someone who may have similar inclinations to express themselves in a similar manner which is personal to them, unrestrained from the fear and anxiety of being judged, because there is at least one other person that is doing the same. The more people that express themselves visually, the more people will hopefully become inspired to do the same, creating a domino effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment