Thursday, December 23, 2010

Hoarding Information--Bookmarks

All this time I've been hoarding blog posts, articles, website, etc. in my bookmarks. I have thousands of them going back to 2000. I am now casually going through a few of them and I found a few casual pages that I can read, share, and delete.

The problem was, either I didn't have time to read it, or I saved it after reading it because I liked it but never knew why. What was missing was "sharing." Before that wasn't a possibility. I wasn't able to share interesting information, so I would just hoard it and didn't know how to get it out of my system. It's like this obsession of hoarding information and to try memorize everything and integrating it into my knowledge, life, and processing it into other things like "to-dos" and "to-buys."

Another thing that is now possible which wasn't possible before is:
  • Universal Wish Lists [Can save all the stuff I want to buy on Amazon, even if it's not on Amazon, and stop wasting bookmark space]
  • Toodledo [Can make to-dos with urls instead of just having them sit in my bookmarks folder]
  • YouTube Favorites [Favorite any video I want to watch again instead of saving it]
  • Youtube Playlists [Can save something into "to watch later" if I don't have time]
  • ReadItLater [If I don't have time to read something, I can just put it into ReadItLater]
  • RSS feeds [Bookmark entire blogs instead of individual blog posts]
  • Evernote Web Clips [Clip interesting information to "archive" instead of just having it take up space on my bookmarks]
Another thing to note: I have to differentiate between archiving old information and saving information to read later.  Sometimes I read something already and I want to save it, but instead of putting it into Evernote or something, I have it taking up space on my bookmarks then I forget about it and read it again.

1 comment: