Saturday, August 13, 2005

Are You a Lark, an Owl, or a Hummingbird?

I am never able to pick all of my classes at a normal time.
There are always some classes that I end up having to take at some ungodly hour that messes up my entire schedule.
I had all of my classes from 5p-7:40p. But the latest I could find any other class is at 12:30p!
So I'm going to have to wait about three hours between classes on Monday and Wednesday.
(Actually, the class is from 2p-3:15p on Monday, so I don't have to wait that long on Monday at least.)

Ugh! They are so discriminatory towards people that are naturally accustomed to a night schedule.
(Damned "real world.")

Hopefully I can find some other class I'm interested in by digging through my textbook-sized course catalogue. But the more time passes by, the less classes are available. And I need time to sit down and look through that book and see what classes I would like to take, as well as if they are being offered, if they're open, and if they're at a reasonable time.

Sigh, by the time that biological-clock pluralism reaches the collective consciousness I would have already graduated...

The fact is that most people are "night people," at least at a younger age. I don't know why everyone should be forced to an unnatural schedule that just leaves them sleepier, more stressed, and unable to cope with life to their fullest.
Larks are actually rare, at least from my experience. So why should the majority be forced to live by a schedule that is only utilized by a minority?

I think the world would be happier if we lived in a 24-hour society where everything is open [or almost open] 24 hours a day.
People would pick work shifts at a time that is reasonable to them, leading them to be more efficient and productive. This is not only good for the well-being of the people themselves, but it's also good for business.
People would also be able to patronize businesses at any hour they chose, rather than rushing in right before they close. Although, some commercial industries, such as fast food restaurants, pharmacies, and Wal-Mart, have done a good job with this.
The [late] nighttime in this 24-hour society will no longer be filled with would-be criminals, rather, it would be filled with people that are more awake during those hours. This would probably minimize crime, since there would be more people around, regardless of the time of day, so criminals won't have many places to hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment