Thursday, September 15, 2005

Futurism

Sometimes I can't stand certain aspects of contemporary life. I don't know whether modernity or postmodernity is to blame, but all of this bureaucracy, monotony, complication, and over-specialization is just overwhelming at times. I try to accept it, perversely, by thinking of it as a mild version of Orwell's "1984."
Today I called my school and asked if they had some kind of career counselor I can talk to and ask general questions about careers. She told me that first I have to come to the office and "sign up for their services," which I think is like $20. I wasn't sure if I had already payed it before, so I asked her if I would be in their system. To me it just seems like preposterous red tape and a redundant extra step. Why would I need to sign up and pay $20 just to ask a few simple questions?
Well, I called because I was contemplating my future and career, and I just would like to talk to someone and ask questions.
I like business. The entrepreneurial side at least. But all of the monotony and bureaucracy of it is just overwhelming. I don't want to become an accountant or a manager of a bank. I just want to own my own business (not someone else's), something that provides a unique service or product, and where all of the red tape is secondary.
I really like art. I see myself as an artist in many ways. But art just doesn't make money, unless you are exceedingly lucky and you find a way to reprogram society's trends (at least for a few minutes). Or, if you don't mind being the myrmidon of every moment's collective consciousness. I have always been an "idea person," and owning a business will probably give me the wherewithal to bring these ideas into fruition. Combining business with art is probably the only way I can make money without selling my creative soul to society's whims and without playing the artist lottery and waiting to "hit it big."
Combining business with art is the unison of the left brain and the right brain, entropy with order, yin and yang. Art is creative, innovative, inspiring, and imaginative and business thrives on those aspects to become successful, but organizes it into a system.
I think it's just perfect for me. I'm anal, obsessive-compulsive, and want everything perfect and in order, but at the same time I'm a bit eccentric, I enjoy chaos of sorts, and I enjoy any novel, creative thing that comes my way.
We have recently seen different celebrities commingling the art world with the business world. Many popular musicians, models, and actors have recently pursued entrepreneurial endeavors, such as opening up their own line of clothing or fragrances, or just launching their own company in general. I may utilize these people as role models for my cause.
I can't imagine doing anything else. I don't want to be a psychiatrist anymore because I can't imagine myself listening to other people's problems everyday and shoving the newest pill down their throat. I've lost some of my interest in video games, and found that that kind of creativity can be utilized in anything (thinking of new characters, "levels," "puzzles," etc.). Those are pretty much the only professions I have given much thought to, other than wanting to become a magician when I was eight...
What I want to do the most is fashion design. But, like I was saying, I don't want to "sell my creative soul" to whatever fun, new, trendy company that hires me; I want to own my own ideas. So, I can open up my own company and sell my own merchandise. I also want to open up a discothèque and a restaurant with a unique theme (or several discothèques and restaurants). I'm just always getting different ideas that are either related to art or business. (Also, I get some ideas about architecture, but rather than pursuing a four-year degree, I'd rather hire the latest postmodern architect to work off some of my ideas for any buildings I would want to house my companies.)
Someone once said "If you're happy with your job, you will never work a day in your life." That is true, if you're doing something you like, it would be like getting paid for a hobby or skill you enjoy doing. This is my plan. I have my college education to fall back on, and I'm seeing if I could get my Real Estate license and do that on the side (even though it's something I'm not really interested in). Maybe I can then save up and take fashion design and other classes in an art school. Afterwards, I could get a government loan and work either in real estate or slave away in a generic, mediocre business job and save up to start a business.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I think opposite.
    If you like art and you know you love art, do art even if it DOESNT make money. I'd rather die in penury than to do something that I am just "satisfied" with and my personality matches.
    That's why it has taken me so long to pick a figgin' major because I DONT know.
    And if you are a psyciatrist (my spelling is wrong) you are just trained for therapy sessions and you don't actually shove pills at them. There are psychologists who do tat sort of thing.
    The whole world is selling your soul. That's what makes people amazing. And unfortunately, people need green and that's why you HAVE to do it. Or you die.
    Either be a fashion designer and be totally happy with what you are or work at disney. I don't think you want the latter. (horrible pay PLUS no social life)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She told me that first I have to come to the office and "sign up for their services," which I think is like $20.
    It's freee at my school... i should go and ask about what i can do with a history degree, other than wipe my ass with it.

    ReplyDelete